Jun 15, 2013

Maybelline Falsies Big Eyes Mascara

When the Falsies Big Eyes hit the shelves, I was beyond excited, since I'm a huge fan of the original Falsies and Falsies Flared. I have never seen Maybelline release a double-ended mascara before. What makes this Falsies Big Eyes unique is that one of the wands is specifically designed for lower lashes. In general, I'm a huge Maybelline mascara fan, but Big Eyes is one of their worst yet.


The packaging reads "360 false lash effect. Lift upper lashes. Magnify lower lashes." The eye that you see in the bottom right corner is the 'result' that Maybelline is promising..which of course is nothing like the actual result! 


This is the Upper Lashes wand, the bristles are spaced far apart and are covered in extra mascara goo. I'm not very happy with this wand, it makes my lashes stick together into a scraggly mess. It's one of the worst wands I've used in a while.

The lower lashes wand is definitely the best part of this mascara. This wand is small enough to coat each tiny bottom lash, and it isn't overloaded with mascara. It's easy to use and defines the lashes, but the formula smudges easily.

Here are the results. This is about three coats. I had tons of clumps towards the tips of my lashes, no length, no definition, and very little volume. My lashes actually drooped down considerably (you can see some of the lashes are actually pointing straight down). I also had major smudging on the bottom lashes (I'm not wearing any eyeliner) and lots of flaking happened throughout my day. Absolutely dreadful.

Claims: "Revolutionary dual-ended Mascara for 360° all around Lash Glam. Two brushes specifically designed for top and bottom lashes. Special quick-dry formula holds lashes in place"
Formula: The formula is super wet. I tried to dry this mascara up by using it as much as possible, and it never happened! The heavy formula weighed my lashes down, causing them to feel heavy and look droopy.
Wand Type: Both wands have traditional bristles. The upper lashes wand is too gunky to work with, but the lower lashes wand is much easier to use.
Price/Availability: I paid $7 at Wal-Mart

Likes:
  • Bottom lash wand is nice
  • Innovative idea (especially for the drugstore) 
  • Tint comes in Blackest Black, my favorite! 
Dislikes:
  • Doesn't live up to claims 
  • Flakes and smudges rather quickly
  • Feels heavy/thick on my lashes
  • Bunches the lashes together/no definition
  • Upper Lashes wand is extremely messy
  • Both formulas are too wet

Overall:
Big Eyes did nothing for my lashes, other than make them black. I was expecting the double ended wand to really give my upper and lower lashes a defined, voluminious look, but that didn't happen. Instead, it gave me messy, clumpy, flaky, and droopy lashes. I was impressed with the lower lashes wand, it was tiny enough to coat every lash. However, the formula smudged very quickly. I wasn't impressed with how heavy that both formulas (which I believe are the same) made my lashes feel. I believe the wetness of the formulas is what caused my lashes to look droopy. 

It's too bad that this one didn't work for me, I really wanted to like it! I even tried wiping off each wand with a tissue before applying, but believe it or not, I still got the same results. The double ended wand isn't a new concept, but a lower lashes wand is something that I've never seen at the drugstore. If the formula wasn't so heavy and wet, I think Maybelline could have had an innovation on their hands.

You can watch my video review here!


Have you tried this mascara? Let me know your thoughts! 

23 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this before but too bad that it doesn't work for you.

    Kah-Feh Yen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so disappointed with Maybelline's last few mascaras. I wish it had a better wand since I like separate the lower lash concept too! Hopefully other brands will hop on that next xx

    Jordan | Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm wishing that someone will come out with a bottom lash mascara, just by itself. I would love to see that at the drugstore.
      :)

      Delete
  3. Maybelline has a couple of double-ended mascaras (though I think they're being discontinued at the moment). I've never tried them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen one in my area. I knew they probably have, since the idea was very trendy with L'Oreal in the 90s. In recent times, they haven't had one until now. Especially one with a wand that is specifically meant for lower lashes.

      Delete
    2. Oh I actually just realized that the back of the packaging says "our first dual-ended mascara" so I think this is a first for Maybelline.

      Delete
  4. Lash Discovery has a similar brush to the bottom lash end of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agreee, I stated that in my video review.

      Delete
  5. Uh how dissapoiting!! I really dont like wet formulas.. maybelline does nothing for my lashes :(xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like wet formulas sometimes, but this one was just...yuck. Have you tried Full N Soft? I think that's probably their best one:)

      Delete
  6. I hate it when products need to get a *womp womp*. I'm a fan of the regular falsies formula (or the waterproof version) but I haven't tried this one yet. I may stick to my original formula version! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I really tried to make this one work for me. I tried wiping it off with a tissue and all that, but nothing helped much. Very womp womp. No prob:)

      Delete
  7. I see what you mean about the top wand, I had the same problem with the original falsies mascara so I'm not all that shocked truth be told. However I do like the effect on the lower lashes so I will purchase one when in Orlando next month :) on a brighter note you have the most perfect eyebrows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too at first, but that forumla dried up a bit and everything because fine afterwards:) have fun in Orlando, and thank you! :)

      Delete
  8. Hmmmm Doesn't look like you had a good experience with this one!
    I don't no why but I don't trust mascaras that come in vacuum packed plastic, lol!

    Kylie x
    http://lazy2lovely.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't really. All mascaras here come in plastic. What other kind have you tried?I'd rather it come shrink wrapped so I know that it hasn't been tampered with.

      Delete
  9. How disappointing :( thanks for the review!
    Adela x

    Misspinkstyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice review and the photo helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you're looking for a good bottom lash mascara, Clinique has an amazing one! It doesn't smudge and it stays on all day.

    gingerdoesmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, I have Clinique's bottom lash mascara and it works great! I use it almost every day, I hope they make a brown formula soon.

      Delete
  12. Absolutely hated this mascara as well! The mascara clumped on the wand and my eyelashes were a big, clumpy, goopy mess. My eyelashes felt extremely weighed down and uncomfortable. I even curled my lashes beforehand and they seemed to droop with this mascara on. I am extremely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥