Oct 12, 2012

Rubie's Glow in the Dark Lipstick

Now that October is in full swing, I've been looking forward to Halloween makeup! I usually give in to buying at least a few things that are Halloween themed. I was so excited when I saw this Glow in the Dark lipstick at a Michael's craft store. I just had to test it out! 


The brand is Rubie's, a costume retailer that also sells accessories, including costume makeup. This is the first time I've seen their products before, and I figured $1.50 wouldn't be too bad of a loss. It's worth a shot! 


 Here's a close up of the lipstick in the packaging. Nothing too exciting, the packaging could be better. I hate it when Halloween makeup looks goofy. Maybe that's just me? 


 It does state that this lipstick isn't recommended for children under 14. The phrase "ingredients are recognized as safe" also concerns me. It doesn't say that they are safe, is says "recognized as".. that's a bit suspicious. 

Here's the lipstick in the tube itself. Before applying it to my lips, I held it up to the sunlight for a good minute or two. Nothing happened. It didn't glow at all on my lips! I was extremely disappointed, because I did exactly what the directions stated. I even tried holding it to the light for five minutes, still nothing. It only glows in the tube. Even a swatch doesn't glow. 

It looks promising in the tube doesn't it? It's cool to look at, but it doesn't even work on the lips! 

Dislikes:
  • Doesn't actually glow on the lips
  • Ugly packaging
  • "Ingredients are recognized as safe" -what does that even mean? 
  • Tastes like plastic
  • Can only be used for ages 14+
Overall:
This lipstick doesn't glow on the lips as it states it does. I don't like products that have such high claims. For exapmle: "The longer lips are exposed to light, the longer and brighter they will glow" obviously not.. Oh well, looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board to find a glow in the dark lipstick that actually works! If anybody knows of a good one, leave me a comment please! 

6 comments:

  1. I have seen this product before because of my daughter. She wants to have those kinds of lippies because she said it looks cool. Good thing I didn't buy her that lippie for it is just a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hopefully I can find one that actually works. I think that it's a really cool idea!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen these before! I wonder if we have them in the UK. Anyway I'm just commenting to let you know that I love your reviews (even if I can't get my mitts on them over here) and to also let you know that I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, you can find out all the details here : The Sorting House - Liebster Blog Award & Nominees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for nominating me and reading eatinglipstick! :)

      Delete
  3. They have to say "recognized as safe" to cover their butts in case they get a legal suit against them for millions of dollars, "YOU SAID THIS WAS SAFE on your package!" "No we said it was recognized as safe." It's protection against people who try to sue them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you might have a hard time finding a glow in the dark lipstick. I've seen many other glow in the dark products (such as nail polish, costume makeup, etc) that have warnings on them similar to the one you saw, but others saying that they contain ingredients known by some states to cause cancer and birth defects. Common sense would mean not to ingest them of course, so I don't have much hope that there will be a lipstick. I'm surprised its even allowed to be put on skin to be honest.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥