May 28, 2013

Rimmel Show Off Lip Lacquer

When the Apocalips craze first hit the UK, I was beyond jealous that I couldn't join in on the fun! I felt that almost every British beauty blogger raved about these, and how they were the best liquid lipstick on the market, and so on. Being the excitable person that I am, I tweeted Rimmel and asked if they were going to release Apocalips in the US. They replied with 'No, they will not be released in the U.S. sorry' (something along the lines of that) and here we are now, about five months later, with Rimmel Show Off Lip Laquer.



 I love that you can see the actual shade of the lipstick in the tube. The packaging is so cute!


At first glance, I thought the applicator was just a regular doe-foot. It actually has a small well in the middle where the liquid lipstick gathers. It makes application so much easier, because it deposits the perfect amount each time!




Swatches from top to bottom: Stellar, Apocaliptic, Nova, and Big Bang
Stellar is a hot coral with pink undertones. Apocaliptic is a bright medium-pink with blue and purple undertones. Nova is a dusty rose with purple tones. Big Bang is a bright blue toned red. I only used one swipe for each swatch!


Lip swatches from left to right: Big Bang, Nova, Apocaliptic, Stellar

Claims: "It's the End of Colour as you know it! The intense rich colour of a lipstick, enhanced by a satin smooth shine. It's neither a lipstick nor a gloss... It's BIGGER than both!"
Pigmentation: Only one swipe is needed to get full pigmentation. A little goes a long way!
Finish/Texture: The finish is shiny, like a gloss and creamy like a lipstick. The texture is a bit on the thick, but not sticky at all. It feels smooth and creamy on the lips.
Lasting Power: Unfortunately, these only last about 2-3 hours on my lips. Eating/drinking would probably make the color disappear completely. 
Scent: Another problem, the scent is terrible! These smell like very strong plastic, I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but it's unpleasant and takes a while to fade away.
Packaging: I absolutely love the innovative wand that gives the perfect amount of product each time. You can see the shade of the lipstick through the tube, which is always a huge plus for me. The 'asteroid' cap is pretty cool too! 
Price/Availability: I paid $5 each at Walgreens

Likes:
  • Amazingly pigmented
  • Variety of colors available
  • Inexpensive
  • Feel comfortable on the lips
  • Innovative wand/cute packaging
  • Shiny finish
Dislikes:
  • Weird plasticy scent
  • Color/Shine Only last 2-3 hours
Overall:
I'm so happy that the Apocalips hit the States! I'm unsure why Rimmel re-named the product, but either way Show Off lip lacquers really impressed me! I love how pigmented, vivid, and glossy each color is. I've never used a drugstore liquid lipstick that I was impressed with until now. I only needed the tiniest amount to get full opacity and bold shine! The innovative wand is something that I've never seen before. It really helped control the amount of lipstick that came out of the tube, making the application process effortless. There are some drawbacks, as I said these have a weird plasticy scent and they only last about two hours on my lips. That aside, I still love the finish and amazing color that Show Off gives me. If you're looking for something new and exciting, definitely give these a try! 


38 comments:

  1. I HATE the smell of these! I have the shade celestial :) I'm waiting for Big Bang in the post! Lovely swatches and photos! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that I didn't just get a bad batch or something! Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. You chose the prettiest colours :) I love my Stellar as it leaves such a beautiful stain on my lips that lasts for hours. But I agree about the scent, it's very unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of mine stained my lips in a flattering way. I had some patches of color left, but nothing that I would want to wear alone. I know, the scent is really off-putting. I wish that these smelled better, or were unscented completely! Then they may have been an HG for me.

      :)

      Delete
  3. Time for me to find these! I've been waiting for a long time too! Thanks for the swatches too since now I can tell that I really like the shade of Stellar =P



    kfclovesyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad they finally released in the states :D Big Bang and Apocalyptic look awesome and I'll surely have to pick up a few! Not excited to smell them though :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, def try them and I suggest keeping your receipt! You can return used makeup at walgreens, so if the scent is too strong you can return it :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited I saw this post! I've been waiting for AGES for these to come out in the states. Wish they hadn't renamed them. I think Apocalips was adorable. So excited to run out and snatch these up, regardless of scent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really excited for these too, I thought it was weird that they renamed them for whatever reason.
      :)

      Delete
  7. I've had my eye on Stellar for months, have to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh love your pics. Now I want more of them. I got Luna and it's horrible for fair skin :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big Bang looks so beautiful on you! Lovely post as always - Love the way you write & present your posts.

    Love Em, from www.dollhousebeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased some from Walgreens. I like the colors, but I hate the scent! It smells like Asian salty dried plums (which is NOT a good smell for a lip product), but your swatches make me feel like I need Stellar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally I have something to compare the scent to! I was trying to think of something, but I honestly couldn't think of anything because I've never smelled anything like this before. I'm going to have to smell some Asian salty dried plums now to compare! Hahaha :)

      Delete
  11. The rename to Show Off instead of Apocalips make them lose a bit of their appeal. I love the shade Nova.

    Kah-Feh Yen
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you purchase these from? I have been searching for these, but have not seen them yet in drugstores or Walmart or Target. Great swatches. I liked big bang the most, but they all look nice on you. :)

    http://strawberryheartschocolatedarts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you looked under my Price/Availability section, I listed the price and where to buy them. So far I've only seen them at Walgreens. Big Bang is my favorite too, thank you :)

      Delete
  13. Okay so...I have a makeup addiction "problem" and I went to my walgreens RIGHT after I saw this post. The cosmetics lady said she had just put the display up the night before! :) I had to come back and mention though that I love the scent! It is the EXACT same as the rimmel Kate Moss matte lipsticks, for those who have experienced those, it's a point of reference. Just thought it was worth a mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you found them! I totally disagree with you on the scent though. I love the way that the Kate Moss Matte Rimmel lipsticks smell, almost like a subtle watermelon candy. To me, these Show Off Apocalips have a very STRONG plascticy smell that is unlike anything I've ever experienced before.

      If these smelled anything like the Matte lipsticks, I'd actually enjoy them more! I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just stating my opinion :)

      Delete
  14. Haven't seen these yet but I think I must have Nova!! I love that shade and the finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's really pretty and subtle compared to the other shades :)

      Delete
  15. WHAT?! What a stupid name for them?! Why not call them the same thing, I don't get it. They all look gorgeous on you Hollie with your skin tone. I have the full range of these, but I've not even tried them yet believe it or not! :D xx

    Gemma ♥ | MissMakeupMagpie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The Purple Mascara is also called Show Off here, so it's annoying that they gave two products the same name! Ohh, I can't wait to read your review :)

      Delete
  16. The colours are so nice and bright! Would like to try some out!
    My favourite is big bang.

    Xxx

    Katrien

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh--I've been looking for a new lip product to try! I'll definitely give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went to Walgreens to look for these after reading your post. Unfortunately they didn't have them. I left with two Wet n Wild megalast liquid lipsticks instead...they're alright. I will definitely keep looking at other Walgreens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you didn't find them. I'd recommend calling your local stores sometimes first, they will tell you whether or not they carry the product. I have a review on those as well, I actually hated those! The Rimmel ones are so much nicer on the lips, def try them if you can :)

      Delete
  19. I found your blog looking for swatches, great swatches! Just finally found these. Feels like we've been waiting forever for them! Nova has to be my favorite so far.

    xo, Janelle @ GlamorousMama

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this review :) Saw them today and wanted to grab all the pinks! However the price for one here is $15.95 GRRRRR

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just bought a couple of these. Now I see a few more shades I need to get :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I just bought Apocalips ( Apocaliptic and Aurora) and I love them! I have to say that I can barely smell the scent and they last a long time on me, even after I eat. I am going to post a review about them in a few days, you can have a look!

    http://beautyinchina.blogspot.it/

    ps I really love your blog, it's so cool and well written. I also love your pale skin and black hair, you are super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahhhhhhh I need these in my life so badly.

    Also, I am sure you gets tons of comments like this but I want to make sure that this comes off as a genuine compliment (not just me trying to get page views for my own blog or something): I have seriously just found your blog and I already love it. I love your content, I love all the swatches and the amazing focus on the drugstore (which can get neglected in the blogosphere) and your simplified like/dislike lists. So informative and helpful! In general, I'm just really happy to have stumbled upon your blog. Thank you, Google. Anyway, I can't wait to read more! Keep up the amazing work. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥