Aug 21, 2013

Maybelline Master Smoky Pencils

The Master Smoky eyeliner pencils are a new product to the Eye Studio line from Maybelline. I had a few requests from my YouTube subscribers to test them for a review! So, I took the plunge and bought the two darkest colors I saw: Black Smoke and Scorching Brown. I can't say that I was excited to try these, the idea of an eyeliner giving an entire smoky eye look in two steps is gimmicky. 

The packaging displays what your results can look like by using this liner (bottom right corner) and it also gives two step instructions on how to get the look. 

The eyeliners are double ended. One side has the tip of the actual eyeliner, and the other has a sponge tip. The sponge tip is what claims to give the smoky look. 

Claims: "Mastering the smoky eye has never been easier. Ultra saturated pigments in a creamy blendable formula. Long-lasting smoky eye in two steps"
Finish/Texture: The finish is matte, and the texture is smooth and crumbly. 
Lasting Power: The liner lasts all day, it didn't fade or smear.
Packaging: Ok, the packaging has some major issues. The liner completely popped out of the tube and crumbled everywhere. I didn't even do anything when it happened, I just opened the cap and saw that half of the liner was stuck into the cap.. ugh.
Price/Availability: I paid $8 


Likes: 
  • Intense/pigmented color
  • Feels creamy/smooth
Dislikes: 
  • Formula dried up quickly
  • Eyeliner crumbles easily
  • Eyeliner completely broke in half and fell out of packaging
  • Overpriced $8-$10 at drugstores
Overall:
This isn't a new concept with eyeliner. I've tried multiple liners that had sponge tips to be used for smoking the liner out, and this one was no different. The Master Smoky claims are a bit ridiculous, personally I would never use a single eyeliner for an entire smoky look, and even if I wanted to, this wouldn't cut it. 

This liner was so creamy, that it actually crumbled and broke off completely, yes the entire stick popped out of the packaging! The formula dries rather quickly, so it was hard to achieve a smoky look. I could barely smoke out my liner, let alone create an entire smoky eye look, I just don't see how it can be done. Another thing that I don't like about this liner is that you can only draw a thick line with it. It's not very versatile, and it's not worth the eight dollars at the drugstore. 

The colors are intense and very dark, they lasted all day, but the packaging issue was enough to turn me away from this eyeliner forever. There are way cheaper, creamier, liners at the drugstore that can be smoked out with a q-tip or a disposable sponge tip. Honestly, this eyeliner is a gimmick and  way overpriced for the quality. 

For swatches and a quick demonstration on how I applied these, please watch my video review below. 


Have you tried these yet? If so, did they work for you? 


            | Bloglovin' | Facebook | Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube |  

3 comments:

  1. $8-10 for this is soo overpriced, specially if this didn't work for you!

    x

    http://holaflo.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the idea of just using eyeliner to create a smokey eye really bland! A smokey eye to me is all about layering and experimenting with colours to reach the perfect light-dark contrast. It may take more time but that's half the fun of makeup!

    http://carlapercy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate and read each one. I will try to respond to any questions asap. Thank you! ♥

Please refrain from leaving spam- giveaway promos, follow for follow, hey check out my blog, etc, it will be deleted.

But feel free to leave your blog link so that others may see it ♥